Sunday, July 10, 2016

Courage Does't Always Roar

Can you think of a time that you were scared of something? I'll be vulnerable and tell you that I was scared to push that "Publish" button just now!

Why is fear so recurrent in our lives? There are countless things we get afraid of. For me, I get creeped out by snakes, mummies, and anything inside a body that you can't see without using a knife. I also tend to be nervous and anxious about social events. (Have you ever heard that most authors are severe introverts? Well, it's totally true!)



The Bible tells us that "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of self-control." During those childhood nights of staying awake wide-eyed because snakes were waiting to torment me the second I closed my eyes, I often wondered what exactly this verse meant. I mean, it's great to quote it as some sort of encouragement, but I found that it never really encouraged me to the point that I could actually go to sleep. Now that I'm older, I realize that there is another whole level of fear: fear of rejection, fear for the future, fear of being hurt by love, fear of being vulnerable, and fear of offending someone. These fears touch a much deeper part of our being, but I find them almost easier to deal with than those more "childish" fears, because they are easier to reason with Biblically--they're not so irrational as a fear of monsters.

Fear is a very powerful thing. It can make us act irrationally, and from fear stem strong and destructive emotions such as hate, greed, envy, and want for absolute control.

Most people outgrow their childish fears, but what if you don't? I'll admit, I am still terrified of snakes. Mummies still creep me out, and I still want to get sick whenever I see (or even think about!) blood or gore. I often get annoyed at the fact that these "silly" fears still control my life. What is it that can help me get over them?

Most of us know that courage is the opposite of fear, right? Honestly, I think that faith, stemming from God's perfect love, is the opposite of fear. Courage might make you "buck-up" and face your fear, but what if your fear is too big for you to face alone? Faith assures you that God is all-powerful and sovereign over everything. He is there to help you, He has your best interest in mind, and He will never leave you or forsake you. When the monsters are staring you in the face, faith will help you to look past them to God, even though the monsters block your vision. Then you can be reminded that God is bigger and stronger than any power that fear has over you.

Sometimes, courage doesn't make you feel like a lion ready to conquer it's prey. Sometimes, courage is that still small voice that you hear in faith that tells you, "It's okay. I'm here with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment